Saturday, August 30, 2008

Reflections

This is Ginna writing from Michelle's name (sorry, I am not normally a blogger). I want to take some time to reflect in general upon my experiences here in Botswana. Although things were slow to start for some people, I was able to begin clinical immediately at the Baylor-Botswana pediatric HIV clinic. Although I had to sometimes be creative in my endeavors at Baylor, I can honestly say that I learned an incredible amount in terms of community nursing as I was able to get a true glimpse of many different communities within Botswana, nurses' roles both in the clinic and out in the community, and pediatric HIV treatment. The most powerful thing I have learned since being here is that a person can possess all of the clinical skills and theoretical knowledge possible, yet without a positive rapport and an understanding of one's patients and community a health care provider is unable to fully care for a patient. From the very first week I was told that the majority of work done at the clinic is social work and not medicine. While that may be true on some levels, I feel that it is an admirable quality to be able to take a holistic view of a patient because in pediatrics a child cannot raise himself/herself. It requires family and community assistance, especially here in Botswana. I have had the opportunity to directly observe how the common African proverbs "It takes a village to raise a child" and "We are, therefore I am" play out in everyday life. It has brought with it a unique and wonderful learning opportunity as well as a plethora of life lessons and opportunities for personal growth. I am certain that I return home a changed person and I will carry this experience with me in my heart for a long time to come.

No comments: