Friday, August 1, 2008

I am the lucky one.

Tonight at dinner, our new friend, Bogolo, gave some of us Setswana names (Setswana is the language spoken here.) The name she gave me was "Kesego," which means "she is lucky."

I loved it. Lucky is what I've felt all along my journey to Botswana. I was lucky to have been chosen by Penn to come to Botswana. Yes, we've had some problems this first week - getting housing settled at the University of Botswana, getting in to our selected clinical sites - but all eight of us agree that we are incredibly lucky to have Jodi as our instructor here. She's been working tirelessly to make sure that we all get the best clinical experiences possible; there'd be some pretty desperate-feeling nursing students here if Jodi wasn't here to help us get settled.

I'm also feeling lucky to have these amazing group of students with me. Everyone has brought unique perspectives and experiences with them to Africa; so far we've been able to share those experiences with each other in a pretty constructive way. If someone has a frustrating day, or sees some things that are difficult to stomach or even comprehend - so far the group has been able to pull together, to listen to each other, and to support each other. Tonight we sat around talking about HIV treatment and ARV regimens, and why some patients have a difficult time adhering to those treatments. We've gotten angry together over the way standards of patient care vary here from the standard of care that patients might receive in the States. We've stayed up late talking with each other about life, love, and other matters of nursing.

So it's true - I do feel like I am the lucky one, with these opportunities, these mentors, and these friends. Let's hope the luck continues.

1 comment:

Professor McCauley said...

Judith Bonaduce and I are the LUCKY ones to have such incredible student ambassadors!

Your stories are so inspiring and I know it's tough rolling out a program but with Jodi's guidance and everyone's creativity, Penn nursing will shine.

Can't wait to see everyone.